Monday, April 1, 2013

A little bit of my history

I'm going to start with a little background on myself. I was born in 1969 to a poor Catholic family.Both parents disabled. I grew up in the projects on the south side of Chicago. We were very poor but not starving. As a teenager I had no interest in anything but having fun and partying. I assumed I'd get pregnant and get on welfare like everyone else I knew...which is exactly what happened. It never occured to me that I could get an education and have a career. I really believed that only rich people went to college. I was never told nor did I think college was an option for me. That sounds crazy but coming from where I did I just didn't believe I could have more.

I spent most of my life raising my children, working occasionally. Going from one abusive relationship to the next. Never happy, never in my life have I been happy for any length of time. After my divorce I went through a very severe depression which lasted years. I tried to find comfort in my religion but I never really felt how I assumed I should about Catholicism.

I'm currently married to a man I love very much, my best friend. We don't have much, but I don't need much. I have one grown daughter, one daughter in college and a 13 yo son. I have been happy with my husband, but I'm no longer the woman he married.

That brings me to January of 2013 when I finally found the path to peace and happiness. I found the Dhamma that changed my life forever.

Please forgive any errors in spelling, grammar etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment